I've been seriously meaning to put this up for a long, long time... It was definitely an amazing learning opportunity. If anyone has any questions that I don't address, feel free to ask.
1) I purchased some pipe fittings at Home Depot and fixed them to a wooden lazy susan from Wal-Mart. These will support the weight of the sculpture. I put a "T" joint at the end where the armature will attach to the support.
2) I usually print my reference to scale so that I can measure and compare as I work. This crazed, demonic infant is the brainchild of one Alex Campbell (hence the drawring).
3) Twisting some steel wire to doubly reinforce the character's spine. (At least one of the spines.) I prefer using steel wire to the softer armature wire. I like the strength and resistance it provides when pressing into the clay. Plus you can pick it up at any old hardware store.
4) & 5) Measuring the newly formed spine against the frontal and side reference.
6) Usinging Propoxy, I "weld" the armature to the support
7) Attaching the 2nd spine (again, doubly reinforced)
8) & 9) Again measuring the armature against the reference
10) Using Propoxy I attach the arms and legs of the armature
11) I wrapped the steel wire in a soft, low gauge copper wire. This gives the wire "purchase," helping ensure that the clay sticks to it without slipping. This sculpture also required that bubbles be able to emit from the nostril of one of the heads, hence the copper pipe
12) Filling out the armature with aluminum foil
13) Filling it out with Super Sculpey
14) & 15) Head #1 underway
16) & 17) Additional details added to the head. Please note, that normally I recommend working general to specific when sculpting. In other words, sculpt out the basic shapes first and then slowly and uniformly add the details and refine. I just got a little over excited and jumped right into the details. Not always a good idea. Also, by this point I realized that the armature for the arms was going to get in the way. So I cut them off with the intention of sculpting them separately.
18) Using aluminum foil, I created a baking shield to protect the sculpture's "body." I proceeded to use a heat gun to bake the head. Be careful doing this, because it's pretty easy to burn the clay.
19) - 23) Filling out and refining the 2nd head
24) - 27) sculpting the genitals and feet
28) I created an insertable joint by using two different sizes of square pipe. This enabled me to sculpt the arms separately and easily and securely reattach them to the body
29) the first arm is attached. The second will not be attached until after the sculpture is baked and inserted into the bottle
30) closeup of the insertable joint for the second arm
31) I sculpted the ears separately for the 2nd head and reattached them latter
32) Ears attached as the head is detailed
33) The "wet" sculpture is pretty much complete. It is then baked in the oven at a low temperature, overnight. DO NOT FOLLOW THE BAKING INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOX. Instead bake your polymer sculpture at around 150 degrees for anywhere from a few hours to overnight, depending on the size of your sculpture/maquette and the thickness of the clay
34) The sculpture is baked and sanded smooth. I had to cut the right ear off of the 1st head so the sculpture would squeeze into the bottle. It was later attached with superglue.
35) Sculpture squeezed into the bottle. The 2nd arm was also attached at this point.
36) - 38) the sculpture submerged in water
The final sculpture: [link]
If anyone ever can name the low-budget, horror film this was featured in, you will be my hero.